Saturday, August 21, 2010

Mariel Rodriguez on getting married: 'Bahala na si Batman...o bahala na si Robin


Before leaving the country for a vacation, Mariel Rodriguez sat down for an exclusive interview with Bianca Gonzalez for Entertainment Live. Mariel clarified the issues surrounding her decision to take an indefinite leave from showbiz. “Actually I’ve been asking for a vacation. Wowowee pa lang noon. I asked if I could have a birthday leave kahit mga two weeks lang. The first and second week of August. But I was denied because mag-start kami ng [Pilipinas] Win na Win.”

She also quickly dismissed speculations that she is leaving because she is pregnant. “I was thinking they’re going to say I am pregnant. I’m not pregnant. I just really need a break.” The TV host-actress admitted that she will be spending her vacation with Robin Padilla, who also took a leave from Win na Win to observe Ramadan, a sacred tradition in his religion, Islam. “He’s going to be there. Kasi parang perfect na talaga ‘yung timing. I don’t know if it’s destiny or timing.”

Regarded as one of the busiest showbiz personalities, Mariel has decided to put her career aside for a while to give herself time for love. “It’s an indefinite leave but my decision is definite. But it doesn’t mean that I don’t love my job. I love my job. I’m going to come back. I’m taking a risk. It is a risk kasi hindi ko alam kung ano pa ang mababalikan ko. Sana makabalik pa rin ako sa ginagawa ko. But I’m really happy. I don’t regret the decision I made. Finally I’m doing something for myself.”

She added that she had asked the permission of her manager Boy Abunda, and that by the time she decides to resume her career, she will still be welcomed. “That’s the first thing Tito Boy told me. He said, ‘Mariel, if we’re going to do this, paninindigan natin ‘to.’ I really don’t know [when I will come back]. But I will be back. Sana welcome pa rin ako.”

When asked if during her vacation she and Robin are planning to get married, Mariel said that it is not very impossible. “Kung ano ang gusto nilang isipin, at this point, I will just go where life takes me.” She even joked, “Bahala na si Batman…o bahala na si Robin! Ha ha ha! Let’s see pagbalik ko. Pagbalik ko chichikahin ko kayo. Robin said na kapag kami nagpakasal hindi namin isisikreto. Sasabihin namin. We will be proud.”

Mariel also gave her reaction to the controversial statements of Robin’s ex-wife Liezel Sycangco who claimed that Robin’s priority now is Mariel that’s why he no longer has time to take care of their four children. Mariel said, “I’m not contradicting kung ano man ang feelings ni Ms. Liezel. Kung ano ang gusto niyang sabihin pwede niyang sabihin because siya ang ina. Ang sinasabi ko lang ‘yung nakikita ko na mabuting ama si Robin. Sobrang ina-idolize ni Ali (the youngest child) si Robin. Every time Ali eats, si Robin ang nag-slice ng steak niya. Si Robin ang nagbubukas ng tubig niya. Grabe niya asikasuhin si Ali. Sinusundo niya sa school.”

But she confessed that because of Liezel’s statements, she got worried thinking that she could also be contributing to the problem, so she cleared things out with Robin. “I can’t help but feel that I’m partly the reason. Although Ms. Liezel naman said that she has nothing against me. Maybe they’re just thinking that I’m now the priority. I asked if he just wanted me to walk away. He said na hindi naman ako ‘yung reason. It’s really between him and Liezel, and for the kids.”

The whirlwind romance between the 26-year-old TV host-actress and the 40-year-old action star, which began when last May Robin filled in for Willie Revillame as host of Wowowee where Mariel is also a mainstay, has been subject to controversies and criticisms. Many had said that Mariel, who just came from a bitter breakup with Zanjoe Marudo, was just falling prey to Robin’s killer charm.

In the past 20 years, Robin has had the reputation for being a womanizer after having string of relationships with known female celebrities which include Kris Aquino, Vina Morales, and Sharon Cuneta. This chapter in Robin’s life was recently unfolded in StarStudio Magazine. “Nahihiya nga ako sa kanila. I would tell him, ‘You better tell me baka meron ka pang ibang babae na wala sa magazine na ‘yan,’” shared Mariel.

But Mariel managed to accept Robin despite his past. “It’s not an issue. My first impression was, bad boy siya, maraming babae. Pero nung nakilala ko siya, hindi e. He was so much more. Sobra siyang matalino. Ang lalim niyang tao.

She is not putting any label on her relationship with Robin, but only said that she had never been this happy in her life. “Ito na ‘yung pinakamasaya ko. Sana [he’s the one].” Mariel talked about how Robin would make her feel like the most important girl in the world. “Like a queen. It’s the simple things. I thought hindi na uso ‘yung pag-open ng door sa car. He’s rather die than let me open the door. Bababa siya talaga para i-open ‘yung door for me.”

To those still unsure if she made the right choice of putting her career aside to be with Robin, Mariel said, “But I also have my personal dreams as Mariel. Feeling ko at the end of the day, para saan ba ‘yung career woman na ginagawa natin, ‘di ba para rin ma-attain natin ‘yung dream natin as a person. Kung pwede ko naman i-try na gawin ‘yung gusto ko hindi naman siguro masama. Baka naman pwede maging masaya. Ayokong mag-regret. ‘Di ba that’s how girls are? We are willing to give anything. Kapag ako ay nagmahal. Tama! ‘Yung kasalukuyan ‘yung ang magdo-draw ng future. Kailangan i-enjoy lang namin ang kasalukuyan. Ganun naman ‘yun. Wherever the road will take us.”

Mariel clarified that Robin is not pushing her to leaving her successful showbiz career just for him. “The funny thing is he always tells me na I’m at the peak of my career. Sobra ‘yung support niya. Sa palagay ko hindi niya ako ilalagay sa posisyon kung saan kailangan kong mamili.” Also according to her, Robin is also not requiring her to embrace Islam should they get married. “The good thing about Islam is they respect other religions. Walang pilitan. Never pa ‘yun naging isyu talaga. For now I love my religion, just how Robin loves his.”

During the interview, Bianca couldn’t help but cry as her best friend related how happy she is right now. “I’m happy for you but siyempre nandun ‘yung, because I’m your ate. Robin please take care of Mariel madami talagang nagmamahal sa kanya sobra.”


To appease Bianca’s worries and also that of the public, Mariel sent out a message. “Just be happy for me because I’m really happy. We cannot take any more heartaches. If I get another heartache, i-strap niyo na sa akin ‘yung [straightjacket] kasi ayoko na.”

No comments:

Post a Comment